The Post Game Show

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Songs in the key of Chris, Part I

I know I owe you guys an update on life after Delaware, but I promise once there's something to write about, lol, it will come. For right now, I want to break down one of my favorite slow jams ever, one of the few songs that can pretty much render me speechless as I think deeply about the kind of love being vocalized in this song. That song is "Let Me Down Easy" by the Isley Brothers from their 1976 album "Harvest for the World." If you've ever had a chance to listen to it, the melody will straight knock you cold, but the lyrics and pre-Mr. Biggs Ron Isley at his best singing these lyrics make it even better;

Is love behind me?
Though I need you to satisfy me
Destiny will prove to divide me
For you're a part of me
I feel the love within you
Your beauty lies deep within you
Touching me when you feel the need to
Become as one with me

The first verse is supposed to set a pretty good tone for the song, and this one does just that. Ron is letting this woman know that she indeed drives him crazy in a good way, but he's worried about what the future is going to bring. He's ultimately asking if she's too good be to true.


So let me down easy
If ever you were to leave
My love, let me down easy
For all I know is you

And there's the message in the chorus. If we break up, please let me down easy, because I don't want to be a total wreck for the rest of my life. This love was so good that while I hate to lose it, it definitely lets me know that a great love is possible and real.

Take you for granted?
That could never, never be
An advantage
All this love, and free from demanding
You have always felt the need to be pleased
And you stay close beside me
Though our minds are free for deciding
The life to lead and desiring
To see what they can see

All this love and free from demanding,
we KNOW what that is. While they are together, they are still free to explore what's out there, but they end up coming back to each other, because they have this bond, could be physical, could be emotional, that transcends whatever momentary thrill they might find in someone else. Romantic swinging I prefer to call it, lol.

Oooh!

Let me down easy
If ever you were to leave
My love, let me down easy
Ooohhh...

Ah! Spending time, time with you
Counting the days of my life
Oh, hoping that, that with me
You will stay

He's in deep now. This woman has made him feel so good inside and out that he's counting down the days of life and wishing/hoping/praying that she isn't going anywhere.

So let me down easy
If ever you were to leave
My love, let me down easy
For all I know is you

Being around you
Lovely things I feel are about you
Being strong until I'm without you
For you're the strength in me
And you give me inspiration
Realizing that it has taken
More love and more love makin'
To fulfill my every need

She's his everything, period point blank. I definitely feel like this song is one of those signs where you just know that the person you're with can make you feel so strongly, not just about them, not just that you are with them, but that you feel strongly about the very thought of them. And you just hope and pray that this person reciprocates the feelings.

So for me
Let me down easy
If ever you were to leave
My love, let me down easy
If ever you were to leave
My love, let me down
Oh, easy
If ever you were to leave
My lo-ove, let me down, let me down, let me down
Easy, baby
Oh-ho! Let me down, hey, down, down, down, down
Easy
Hey, if ever, if ever, ever, ever you were to leave me

What this song means to me is the hope that once I get myself together physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, one day I'll find a woman that while my world won't stop if she leaves, I want her around anyway. I always can visualize the same old scenario whenever I play this song. Me and *gulp* her....chilling together on the balcony/terrace/patio at night with the stars and a crescent moon, her curled up in my lap, playing with my hair or running a hand up and down my chest and this song randomly comes on, and the dialogue goes something like this;

Chris: this song reminds me of you
Her: why, babe?
Chris: well, if you got tired of me and wanted out, I'd hope I'd at least get a kiss goodbye.
Her: *sucks teeth and giggles softly* you're too much. I'm not going anywhere. Are you trying to get rid of me?
Chris: no, not at all. I'm just realistic that nothing lasts forever. I love you, I love being with you, but if we ever were to split, I'd hope there would be no negativity between us. No cussing, fussing, fighting, stuff like that.
Her: No, that wouldn't happen. But why think about breaking up when I'm still here, where I want to be? Don't think too far ahead, honey. Live in the now. And now is us.
Chris: *sighs* you're too good to me *kisses her on the forehead*
Her: I know. It's a gift.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home