The Post Game Show

Friday, March 14, 2008

It's That Time Again

Knowing that I have a gift for predicting song hits and the unbridled arrogance to critique them, I bring to you folks another Musical Musings post. This seems to be the best time to do a post like this because (1) I'm loving the fact that I'm finally getting mad comments (please keep visiting and commenting, new folks!) and (2) my foul mood towards the fairer sex could result in a disastrous post. So instead of venting like I normally do, I decided to chill and just offer my opinion on what's popping on the radio.

First up is Miss Jackson's third single from discipline, "LUV." Clearly this ain't our older sister's Janet, as the Jerkins-synthesized track is a stark contrast from the free-flowing sound Jam & Lewis gave Janet in the late 80s through the mid 90s. But I will say this track is great for those mid-day cruises when the weather is absolutely beautiful. Roll the windows down, turn it up and bob along....but keep your eyes on the road or else you'll almost end up contributing to the road kill crisis. That was a quick ass rabbit, and good for him. Didn't want that on my conscience.

Mariah Carey has hooked up with The Dream for "Touch My Body" and I'd like to say that this song speaks to me as a public service announcement to get a big man in your life, ladies. "Touch my body/throw me on the floor/wrestle me around/play with me some more..." no 160 pound dude is going to be able to do all that. Now a brother like me....*Rerun from What's Happenin' voice* hey HEY hey!

Trey Songz is ignant. Not ignorant, "Ignant." Why? The song "Last Time" is wrong wrong wrong on so many levels, but absolutely scintillating. He's cheating on his girlfriend with this girl who apparently does her thing behind closed doors, but he feels guilty, so Trey and the other woman prepare to knock boots for the last time. Never has infidelity sounded so sexy.

"You just do you....Umma do ME!" You already know, and if you don't, get from under that rock. How many times have you been doing your thing, and someone tries to imitate you, poorly at that? Well, newcomer Rocko has just the song for you. He tells the offending copycat to do himself, while Rocko does him. That's my new catch phrase for the spring "Wanna see how it's done? Then watch me do me!" Along with Diddy declaring that there will be no bitchassness in Bad Boy. I actually put a sign up with that at my desk to remind myself to be aggressive and tough on my job. Don't believe me? Picture will be coming in the next post.

"Falsetto" is my jam. That's all you need to know. The Dream is clearly another creation of urban radio, but in between writing hits for J. Holiday, Mary J. Blige and Mariah, he's got his own lil naughty late night cut. I identify with his passion for the high note, because there is a certain, well...joy when you can make your partner raise their voice a few octaves.

You know, Hova and Mary J. are so badass, so off the hook, that they can get Swizz Beatz to craft them a song made especially for their cross-country "Heart of the City" Tour. "You're all welcome" is an absolute banger that revisits that fall '96/winter '97 magic that gave us "Can't Knock the Hustle." Although these are two different songs, Jay and Mary together is just classic on all levels. Now THAT would be a real "Best of Both Worlds" album.

Finally, although I've been imploring anyone within ear or text shot to check out Raheem DeVaughn's album "Love Behind the Melody," I've got to talk about the new single "Customer." This. Is. That. DEAL. This is more about the video than the song, because the song is great. I was so glad the video was done as tastefully as it was. I figured the video director would go for some sort of restaurant scene, but instead, Benny Boom decided to go with the art of pursuit as the theme, and the vid is fan-freaking-tastic. Check it out below;



For those who are new to The Post Game Show, I must let you know that music is a helluva drug in my life. Given a choice between being deaf or blind, I'd rather be blind, because dammit I couldn't last a day without hearing something on the radio. But I'm very thankful God has let me keep both up to this point :)

8 Comments:

  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger Brittany said…

    I love mariah carey but i am just not feeling her new song or the video.

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm loving the fact that I'm finally getting mad comments (please keep visiting and commenting, new folks!)
    - Congrats... u beat me at that one!!!

    no 160 pound dude is going to be able to do all that. Now a brother like me...

    lol.. so funny.. silly working out I gather?

    As for the music scene.. I only know whos who.. thats all it is...

     
  • At 3:20 AM, Blogger Jarrod said…

    I tried to put you on the The Dream a minute ago (check the archives playa)...but nooooooo. On the low that Rocko joint is tough, but I might lose my up north card for saying that. And Raheem is that dude hands down. Oh and Trey Songz album is rockin (would I steer you wrong?)

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    lol at "no 160 pound dude is going to be able to do all that. Now a brother like me"...is that right huh o it sounds cute and i dont know why.

     
  • At 9:10 AM, Blogger Eb the Celeb said…

    I love that Raheem joint...but um... what a sista gotta do to make ya blog roll around these parts...LOL!

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Jameil said…

    customer isn't even my fave song on that cd. i like it tho. haven't heard most of these songs seeing as i don't listen to the radio. that mariah song tho? g-bage. that's right. garbage. i have trey's cd and haven't really listened to it. its on my ipod and i really only listen to that at the gym when its MOVE IT time.

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    I feel you Brittany, that Mariah is hit or miss for her fans and casual listeners, but because I'm a lean and rock kinda guy, not to mention pillow talk always works for me, I like the song.

    D'lee, don't worry, we can be comment buddies, how's that sound? LOL

    Yeah J, you did try to tell me about Dream, but I guess I had to see for myself.

    Well if it sounds cute, Memph...*ahem* maybe I can show you one day...I'm just foolin'!


    Eb, you're on now, relax, LOL...I didn't even know I was on your roll till I went by your blog recently.

    Jam, you can't say Mariah is garbage when you support Love In the Club, LOL

     
  • At 11:19 PM, Blogger CNEL said…

    Raheem DeVaughn = #1

     

Post a Comment

<< Home