The Post Game Show

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Worth The Weight

I should've known something was up when I put on my newer pair of black sweatpants and they felt uber tight, even though they didn't look it. Yet I trekked out the front door this afternoon anyway, expecting to complete my 4-mile walk even though I hadn't been out in a month and some change. My back had other ideas. I barely got to the end of my neighborhood's enclave before the small of my back started screaming at me to turn around and get back to the house or else I was going to be ass out in the middle of the street. I did as I was told.

Tonight, I'm in a bad mood because not only have I put on a good 40-45 pounds since I moved to Maryland 4 1/2 months ago, but it's been a sloppy-ass 40 to 45 at that. As I said in my most recent voice post, this is what happens when you have a job (more stressful than it should be) and bills and such to account for. Working out goes out the window and emotional eating somehow forces its way back in.

For those who aren't familiar with the term, my eating habits basically are at the mercy of my emotions. Sad, Angry, Relieved, whatever. I'll pig the hell out, and like most quick fixes and temporary thrills, it hurts more than it helps. It doesn't help that the unhealthy things I was able to kick for 90 percent of 2007 are now at my beck and call because I have a job and the means to buy them.

That's how I've gone from a manageable (and some would say, well-proportioned) 284 pounds to 323 as of Thursday evening (my voice post said 329, but I was guesstimating then, I stepped on a scale at the local college that told me the real). That's 39 pounds officially, and I can't go up another lick. I've got to get it back to where I was when I dropped 80 pounds from 05/22/06 to 10/01/07.

Strictly for personal reasons, because I never felt better about myself when I was able to say that my weight started with a 2. It had been so long since I could feel comfortable with my weight and I was starting to turn the corner in terms of how I see myself. Now I feel myself slipping back into that abyss of low self esteem and self-hatred that has plagued me since my teenage years. I can't go back. I simply can't.

So I'm writing this list in this entry largely to remind myself of what I hope to accomplish in March and going forward, and I would LOVE for you guys to help me and hold me to it. Sure you're hundreds, maybe even thousands of miles away, but the encouragement is always a plus.

So this is what I want to do from tonight to March 31st.

Force myself to buy cold cuts and fruits....and NOTHING ELSE.
Drink water and orange juice instead of eating late night.
Drink water and keep some fruit or gum at the office.
Stretch more.
Do some sit-ups to shrink this damn gut (which is really why my back was screaming at me today)
Try and stay away from chick-fil-a and Rick's cheesesteaks for the entire month.
Walk little by little until my back doesn't hurt and my clothes get loose again.
Find things to do outside of work so my mind won't be on food.
Work harder if I have to.
DON'T LET STRESS RULE EVERYTHING.

The 10 "get at least eight pounds off in March" Commandments for me this month. You guys think I can do it? I hope I can, and any help you all can give via the comments are greatly appreciated it. Meanwhile, I'm going to get a glass of water. *Mumbles to self* Damn emotional eating.

10 Comments:

  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Jameil said…

    DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT. Perhaps you need visuals and sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiVF3ssrxrg (and you know i'm dancin right now bend ya knees rock ya hips let me see ya dip) yeeeeeeeeah! you can do it! i'm not trying to be funny but you may also want to talk to someone about how to get your emotional eating under control. no shame in that my dude. when i noticed myself gaining weight w/the crazy journalist schedule, i said OH NO!! Y'ALL AIN'T BOUT TO TAKE MY LIFE AAAAAND THE WAIST LINE! force yourself to make time for it homie. your life depends on it.

    no veggies? i think portion control is more important than an extreme diet nearly impossible to keep up with (and certainly no fun). but you can def make ricks and your other food fave out of commission for this month, then eventually back to once in a whilers. i also found it helps to have healthy snacks at work b/c sitting in front of computers all day are prime ground for mindless eating. you look up and that whole bag of whatever is gone. YOU CAN DO EEET!

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I feel you babe...im looking like nicole richie over here(not a good thing)! lol but im going to hold you to this... you just have to stay positve and determined.

    Dont let the emotional eating get to you! Also my friend lost a lot of weight just by eating right I'm going to look into it and email you about the kind of stuff he eats.

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger CNEL said…

    "OH NO!! Y'ALL AIN'T BOUT TO TAKE MY LIFE AAAAAND THE WAIST LINE!"

    LoL @ Jameil.

    You can definitely do it.
    Key to those 10 commandments definitely leave Chick and Rick's alone.
    Water, water, water.
    Portion Control is def better than crash dieting.
    Try 5 Meals a day with healthy snacks if you're hungry.
    And remember things like baked over fried.

    Good luck.

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    hey i spoke to my friend and he gave me his little run down of what he did... i was looking for your email address on your page but i dont see it...maybe im not looking close enough but hit me up on my page to let me know so i can send you what hes talking about...

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger La said…

    I KNOW you can.

    Damn emotional eating. I know all too well.

    The funny thing is, the more you take control of your health, the more it will seem like that stress lessens or at least you're better equipped to deal. And the temptation to emotionally it lessens. It really is about changing your lifestyle though, not dieting and craziness. One of the things I did was learn how to season meat other ways than salf; fresh peppers, onions, homemade marinades, stuff like that. It has made a big difference

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger T Dot said…

    Glad to hear you're back on the wagon, boo. This is definitely manageable. Just stay focused and take it one day at a time. And I agree with jameil -- you gotta eat healthfully, so that includes veggies. And maybe switch up the cold cuts with some lean cuts of mean, like chicken breast, or salmon or something like that.

    Drinking water will get old, so use lemons, limes, cucumbers, strawberries, whatever fruit you have really to add some flavor (added bonus, lemon is a diuretic). And drink 100% fruit juice to cut out some of the added sugar in those drinks.

    And just think: you'll be ready to unveil the toned new you just in time for summer. :-)

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    Thanks guys for the kind words and advice, I really appreciate it, and I'm definitely peeping all your suggestions as I regroup and put a plan in place. Memph, I'll leave my e-mail address in the comments of your next post.

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger Brittany said…

    You will do fine...but you know chick-fil-a can be good for you.

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger Mr. Jones said…

    Go for it, man. I dropped 70 pounds about 2 years ago and never felt better. I gained 20 back and then lost 10, so just know it's a fluid situation.

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Gerard said…

    Thanks so much for your post, pretty helpful information.
    pharmacy technician schools | pharmacist salary | scholarships for women

     

Post a Comment

<< Home