The Post Game Show

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Chris' Musical Musings

As I get ready to get my sleepy self ready for the final Saturday men's and women's basketball doubleheader this season, I'm listening to a lot of music, and a few new songs (at least new to me) weigh heavily on my mind, so if you don't mind I'm going to share my thoughts, good, bad or indifferent, on what has caught my ear these days.

Crime Mob - Rock yo hips: I'm an underground Crime Mob fan, yes I admit it. Ever since "Knuck if you buck" dropped in the spring of '04, followed by my favorite cut "I'll beat yo' ass," I've always been curious as to if this teenaged crunk-hop supergroup could stay together. Well they've signed with Lil Scrappy's G'd Up records and dropped this club banger which can only be appropriate for the Southern region, due to the full-bodied nature of said Southern women. Yet Diamond and Princess are two petite things, and my favorite line in the entire song is Diamond saying "come and get this, honeybun." Why? I guess I've always been a sucker for pet names and a woman saying "come get it." Horn-dog-itis is a helluva drug.

Musiq - Buddy: As Cnel pointed out in one of his recent entries, this samples Taana Gardner's 1982 hit "Heartbeat," one of the most sampled tracks in music history, and one could argue Musiq's version is Just Friends (Sunny) 2007, but whatever the case, the Philly boy still has the magic of friendly persuasion to get a woman to drop her draws. What? Come on, don't act like he's not asking for a lil' lovin'. He's just being a gentleman about it. That only works on wax I'm certain.

M.I.M.S. - This is why I'm hot: A joint full of swagger from a newcomer that wants the world to know that, well, he's hot. It's not anything we haven't heard before, but still, if you want a reason to pat yourself on the back after an achievement of any sort, this song has a ready-made hook just for you. His acronym is interesting to me; "Music Is My Savior." Would love to hear his explanation as to how he came up with that name.

Juelz Santana - The Second Coming: My theme for spring semester 2007. I'm ready to walk across that stage and yell "I take what I want, I'm a born warrior!" Apparently the demand from the Nike commercial featuring LeBron, Kobe, Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire and others was so great, that Juelz and Just Blaze recorded a full version and it will be on Santana's upcoming album. That, my friends, is an infectious song.

Lloyd ft. Lil' Wayne - You: Three years ago, this young Muppet-looking cat had a ghetto love duet with Ashanti that somehow became a modern R&B staple, for better or for worse. Now at 20, Lloyd has linked up with the new Busta Rhymes of random cameos, Weezy F. Baby for his comeback single, another one that sounds eerily similar to Wayne's remix collabo with Bobby Valentino on tell me in 2005. Yes, there is a lack of originality on the music scene these days, but we dance, we sing because we hypnotized by some beats and lyrics. Needless to say, there was a lot of comedy as I walked into a class the other day singing this song.

Omarion - Ice Box: This song first came to my attention when Veronica was talking about it in one of our many chats and Mashaun made me fall out of my seat by likening the song to a cold part of a woman's reproductive region. I found out on my own that Omarion is really trying to carve a niche for himself, and you gotta respect his hustle, his dancing ability and his improving vocals. Just don't do anymore movies, kid.

And that's pretty much it for the time being, but I just realized that this entry is my 96th, meaning I'm only four away from 100. It's a shame it's taken me 24 months to even get to this point, but all that means is that my four entries a month are hard hitting and with some substance...I like to think that, anyway. Any suggestions on how I should mark the upcoming occasion?

6 Comments:

  • At 5:48 AM, Blogger Veronica Marché said…

    Am I the only one that's been listening to "Rock Yo' Hips" since, like, last summer? I remember, 'cause it played all the time on my Yahoo! radio station while I worked at the Post. (Try keeping still while working in an otherwise quiet newsroom. See how difficult it is.)

    I told you Icebox was that ish. "I'm so cold, I'm so cold, I'm so cold...."

     
  • At 5:50 AM, Blogger Veronica Marché said…

    P.S. You know -- you know -- "This Is Why I'm Hot" is my theme song right now. Lol.

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger Jameil said…

    huh. uh. post more often. that is ignorant. i love icebox! so fab. get duck tho.

    lmao @ "my favorite cut 'I'll beat yo' ass'"!!!! of all the crazy ass sentences!!! the first time i heard my homie sing that i gave her the "please get yourself out of my area with that foolishness!!" look.

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger T Dot said…

    I finally heard all of these songs the other day while I was putting together some furniture I bought (up with Target!).

    I enjoy Rock yo hips. And this is whyI'm hot. I even used the song title in a sentence to my friend:

    *phone rings*
    *My friend answers*
    "So, this is why I'm hot: I just put together my furniture all by myself!" (that was a major accomplishment because he had been on the phone with me the day before when I had all but given up on assembly).

    Gotta love when pop culture is applicable in real life.

     
  • At 6:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    yo .. i lik this list, well at least half!

     
  • At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Albert said…

    Many thanks for information. to tell more, you can go to see my site since taht's the site with very good stuff to glance at.
    8 | 5 | 8

     

Post a Comment

<< Home