The Post Game Show

Friday, January 19, 2007

When you look at my life, you see what I see

I rarely have an awakening that is brought on by Delaware State University students, but this afternoon in Dr. Young's English Lit II class, I saw human beings for probably the first time on campus. As her normal semester-opening custom, Dr. Young has her students bring in something near and dear to them that has meaning to them and why it has that meaning to them.

I of course, got the bright idea to drape myself in at least 15 media passes that I've accumulated over the last four and a half years and explain why each has a story behind them, especially the ones pertaining to the Detroit Classic, the MEAC championship in '05 and a comical experience with Maryland State Troopers in December of that same year. I explained that now that I'm a journalistic free agent of sorts, I've had time to reflect on the past and how I've been blessed to be everywhere from Detroit, Michigan to Charlotte, North Carolina. I ended by saying that this was just the beginning, which I hope it is.

Then my classmates got up. One by one, they shared personal stories about close relatives that were no longer with them, their motivations, things that made them happy and things that made them cry. As I sat and listened to one girl sing a song about her ex and share a poem about her incarcerated brother, another cat speak on how gospel music gives him strength to keep going, and another girl break down when talking about her great grandmother who she loved so much, I was faced with a reality that I just didn't have the common sense or the humility to accept; these folks have human tendencies also. I thought I was the only one who hurt, had gone through things, but apparently I don't have the market corner on hard times.

I never thought for a second that I wasn't an enemy or a joke to everyone around here. Most of the time, they're too busy dealing with their own issues to clown me. Don't get my wrong, there are a fair share of ignorant ass people on this campus.

I'm just humbled to know that it's not 100% of them like originally thought.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:20 AM, Blogger Jameil said…

    you are awfully cynical for a young journalist. we like to think we can change the world. glad you got a small glimpse at the humanity of your classmates. its important. hurray for Charlotte.

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think I live for the moments when people have the ability to change my mind, to teach me that I don't know nearly as much as I believe I know. It's what propels me I think to operate with open eyes, open ears, and an open heart.

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Veronica Marché said…

    I keep telling ya...

    :-)

     
  • At 6:23 AM, Blogger Jarrod said…

    First time comment, but a long time reader. When I was in school I went through the same kind of experience. Usually you see the character a person portrays and not who they really are. It's exciting and scary at the same time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home