The Post Game Show

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Random thoughts before A Showdown of Epic Proportions...

Well, it's officially September 30th here on the East Coast, and the Hornet football team is getting ready for its biggest game in quite some time with the 12th-ranked (In I-AA) Hampton Pirates coming to town tonight at 7:30. While everyone has the Hornets pegged for a big time loss, I'm quick to remember 2004, when an 0-4 DSU team took down 17th ranked Hampton 28-23 on a soggy Saturday afternoon in Dover, DE...almost two years ago to the day actually. While I get myself psyched up to cover what could be the biggest win since the Hornets last won the MEAC championship a decade and a half ago, I'm just going to bring you random thoughts from the mind of a DSU student too fired up to sleep.

Fueling my obsession with good live music, I am on YouTube looping Stevie Wonder's 1973 performance on Sesame Street, which is the funkiest of the funky. While I had the video posted on my MySpace profile for a minute, I found a version of better quality and nearly 50 more seconds, and one thing you notice about Stevie, aside from the loud ass gear is his sunglasses. Of course he had to wear them because he was blind, but I swear...those jawns were the original hater blockers. No lie. If you ever get on YouTube (which is great for wasting time and bringing back memories I must say), type in "Stevie Wonder Sesame Street." You will be treated to some good music...and stunna shades.



Does this cutie look familiar to you? O.K., remember Bill Cosby's second show on CBS from the late 90s, early 2Gs? Or how about Eve's Bayou? Yes, that is young Jurnee Smollett, who turns 20 on Sunday, and now starring in The Gridiron Gang with The Rock and Xzibit. While not a big fan of women who aren't old enough to drink (like Hov says "only 21 and older/let another n***a mold her..."), this is just a random observation of beauty on my behalf. What? Yes I would date her, are you crazy?

Walking has done wonders for me. I really need to step on a scale to know for sure, but I really feel good about eating my three squares at decent times of day (thank God for a senior schedule), and then walking around campus, dancing in my room, and just moving around. A co-worker of mine at the Hornet says it looks like I'm losing weight. That's the best news I've heard in a long time.

The Sixers started training camp today. I don't know whether to laugh, cry, break something or do all three. Clearly this team is headed for a repeat of the embarrassing disaster that was the 1990s. And unfortunately, there isn't a damn thing Allen Iverson can do to stop it.

The Phils are threatening to stay around in this Wild Card race until Sunday, and maybe the San Francisco Giants can be of some assistance. The Phils pounded Florida 14-2, and as I look at ESPN.com, the Giants are ahead of the LA Dodgers 3-2 in the bottom of the eighth...PLEASE let the Giants hold on. The Phils would only be 1 game behind LA for the National League Wildcard spot with two to play. It's a long shot, but I guess I can hang in there and cheer them on.

So I caught Deal or no Deal on NBC earlier this evening, and the first contestant was this sista who had her father, mother, and her boyfriend on there with her. Turns out that he wasn't feeling the whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing. Homeboy asked for her hand in marriage. In the middle of the show. She tearfully accepted, had everybody in the audience crying, she was crying, he was happy.

And I caught myself saying "love ain't real," yet I had just watched a brother willingly risk his dignity on national TV by asking his woman to marry him. I mean sure the show was taped, but I've been thinking ever since the proposal went down (oh by the way, she won $105,000) that maybe it's just a matter of the right person at the right place at the right time. Only those two know the journey they've been on, and if he was dead serious about getting down on one knee for millions of people to see, and she of course accepted, then maybe love is real and can conquer all.

A classmate of mine will be laid to rest tomorrow morning, the victim of a senseless killing last Sunday. Cameron Hamlin, who graduated from Howard High School of Technology the same year I did (1999), was gunned down Sunday morning by a jealous ex-boyfriend of a young lady he was seeing. Cameron was very popular in high school, played football and basketball, but he never let that stuff go to his head. He was a good dude, loved to talk to everybody and was starting to get his rap career off the ground. Now we'll never know how good he could've been, what kind of productive member of society he was on his way to being. He won't be at any subsequent reunions of our class because of someone not knowing when to let go of a situation. Cameron deserved far better, and hopefully justice will be served, even if it won't bring Cam back. R.I.P.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've still got eyes locked and jaws dropped when it comes to Ms. Jurnee, she's my age, I got her by a couple of months!

     
  • At 1:55 AM, Blogger Sherlon Christie said…

    Jurnee Smollett...smokin'...to bad she's too young for me to mess with.

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Blogger Darren Sands said…

    "If she can't buy herself a drink then buy one for her." That's how the old adage goes, correct? Right up CNel's alley though.

    While we're referring to adages...

    "You might miss one, catch another one every hour on the hour...promptly." Mason Betha on how women are like buses.

    The thing about women is that you can't bet on them being one thing to you all the time. Their attitudes change. They let you down. The closer you get to wyfing one up, the further away they get from you. Women stink. Time to move on to the next one. I'm going through it now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home