The Post Game Show

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Six Months Later....

Six months ago today, in the early hours of the morning, I packed up my car and drove from one world into another; a world of independence, self-sufficiency, and arguably, uncertainty. I didn't know if I would be able to survive on my own, seeing as I was either in college or at home for all of my life. Now I can say that I can make it work without anyone's help, and I've learned more about my resolve, my ability to bounce back and it's made me stronger as I've been able to take some marginal shots and still stand tall. I call them marginal shots because I'm fully aware that life can get tougher, and considering my field, it probably will. But I think my unorthodox faith in things getting better before they get worse has carried me. I'm not a religious person (HATE church), but I am spiritual, and even though my fear of death leaves me struggling for sleep some nights, I sort of have this weird belief that God is watching me and everything is alright.

I've enjoyed the fact that I live alone, even though it's been rough with no cable and no company. I've had one visitor (no two -- this annoying chick that didn't stay long, but I digress) and I still have a hard time making friends here even though this one chick...we'll call her H...has tried to bring me out of my shell.

Wanna know what's funny about H? We both are from Wilmington, Delaware and attended Delaware State University, but we did NOT know of each other until a chance conversation on BlackPlanet one day. Since then we've hung out a couple of times, I ate at her house Christmas Day and visited her after she had surgery, but when she suggests real robust things like going to a tiki bar opening, I immediately withdraw. Looks like I'm not completely remodeled yet, LOL.

I've finally gotten used to WPGC and WKYS as stations of choice. I love the radio personalities here, especially Big Tigger of course and Michel Wright on WPGC. From 10 to 6 when I'm near a radio, that's what's I'm listening to. I'll probably wax poetic in another music post in the near future about the new stuff.

Of course, aside from three hook-up situations, the dating scene is still wack, but I guess that'll be an issue wherever I go.

Overall, six months on my own hasn't been bad, and hopefully wherever my next stop is whenever that time comes I can continue to survive and thrive as an independent, self-sufficient, taking-care-of-business man. It's been an eye-opening experience to say the least.

13 Comments:

  • At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do the damn thing, Chris!

     
  • At 7:39 AM, Blogger JayBee said…

    you on yo grown man. don't stress that dating stuff. it'll all fall into place.

     
  • At 8:03 AM, Blogger Eb the Celeb said…

    Ha... the blackplanet days... brought back some memories...

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger MP said…

    congrats on ur milestone! now get out and date!

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lmao.. Still on bp huh? I feel you on what you said.... if i can do it so can you! lol...

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T do you know what that spells! lol

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger Jameil said…

    i tried to hold it in but it won't let me... YOU'RE SO WACK!! you always conveniently leave out this chick who tries to get you out of the house when you're talking about nothing to do!! i don't care if she's doing it as a friend or what if you don't get yo behind out the house you betta! not another word until you do!! *goes to bake a sweet potato pie*

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Brittany said…

    I wouldn't worry about dating. It will come in time.

     
  • At 1:51 AM, Blogger Jarrod said…

    BlackPlanet...wow. That definitely took me back to a darker time.

     
  • At 1:45 AM, Blogger Veronica Marché said…

    Darker like... Wesley Snipes?

    Yeah, homie, I'm agreed with Jameil. You "immediately withdraw" from open invites? That's it, you're on punishment. And I want to hear nothing more of it until your ass can give me a fully-detailed recap of your adventures at the tiki bar.



    ...and I mean it.

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really got the deep part of this post. The spirituailty of knowing and loving God is much more imperative than the church or heathen scene.... on any day. Love the blog! ♥

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    Thanks, anonymous!

    Yeah JB, I'm trying not to stress it, but a brother doesn't want to always be a solo act...I need a duet partner eventually.

    Eb, I've been on there consistently for eight years now, and I'm not quite sure why.

    Thanks MP, and believe me, I want to, but...

    if you say so D, LOL...it's tough

    Memph, glad you're back! And you need help, lol

    Jam...I'll address you later, LOL

    Word Brittany, I keep trying to relax, but I honestly think I'm girl/woman-crazy. I don't know how to get that kinda foolishness under control.

    J-Money, it's a long time ago for y'all, but still reality for me, LOL

    V, I'm glad we discussed this earlier. I wasn't chickening out of the tiki bar for no good reason. The club/bar/party deal is NOT my thing.

    Thanks, Gotta. I'm not sure what my affiliation or denomination is, but I know He's real. That's the only explanation I have for some of the good things that have happened in my life, LOL

     
  • At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Darcy said…

    For my part everyone ought to glance at it.
    how to make frosting | landscaping | furniture stores

     

Post a Comment

<< Home