The Post Game Show

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Love Is A Song Worth Singing...

Quiet Storm Radio is a strange animal. Last night, while returning from a work engagement in Annapolis (Route 2 either north or south is the most boring drive known to mankind), I hit the WHUR button on my car radio to unwind and I alternated between that and Magic 102.3 for the hour and 20 minute ride home. Music, as evidenced by the Soundtrack of my life posts, is in my eyes the deepest expression of feelings, relationships, historical events, just life as a whole that there is. Love songs are NO different, especially the classics. The first song I heard on the way back was "The Closer I Get To You," by Roberta Flack and the late great Donny Hathaway. I just sighed and listened as I drove a lonely two-lane highway back to an empty apartment.

As another indicator of my vivid imagination and quirky nature, my mind often wanders to situations where the song could apply. Almost always, this song draws back the curtain on a scene of some amazing woman and I just hanging out under the stars, my arm around her, her head either directly on my shoulder or just under my chin on the upper part of my shoulder. A soft kiss here and there, but really, just silence. The kind of silence that speaks of not wanting to ruin a perfectly good moment. Words can sometimes complicate things, especially moments you want to enjoy and it's best not to throw that delicate balance off.

And at that moment, all the b.s. in the world and in your life, be it work, family drama, somebody famous dying every 15 minutes - it simply doesn't exist. It's just you and the one that you care most about, a person that just the sound of their breathing makes everything right in your world. The feel of their skin, the warmth and comfort in their eyes, the harmony of their voice, the sweet and smooth tenderness of their kiss, it all can replace whatever is going wrong at that moment.

That moment is something I think about more and more as the days wear on. That moment, that everlasting tie to a woman who reciprocates the feelings that I feel for her, the peace of she and I together without a care in the world on a clear and comfortable night - THAT'S what I want. Even if I can't have it in my life as of yet, I can turn on Roberta and Donny and let my imagination show me to a love that I feel I'm getting closer to attaining all the time.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I see you really love music!

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger JayBee said…

    music is the spice of life. great post. very poignant.

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Mizrepresent said…

    Chris, that's what i'm talking about...that's what i've been missing...and i too long for that moment. Here's to both of us one day having all that we long for.

     
  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Southerner in Suomi said…

    I like to hear you staying positive chris. Think about only the best and you won't settle

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Eb the Celeb said…

    that song definitely puts in a place where you have no worries!

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger Vee said…

    ok i been away for a minute I have alot of reading to do....


    ----> here I go!

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Vee said…

    this is a beautiful post.

    Someday, one day. That day is coming very soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home