The Post Game Show

Thursday, July 31, 2008

365 Days

I remember driving down to Delaware State University that morning in my mom's Chevy Lumina with a troubled frame of mind, but a hopeful heart.  After a little over five years of campus living, the last three pretty much in an apartment-style setting, I was moving back home because my last two classes at Delaware State University only had two weeks to run and I hadn't secured a job as of that time.  I dreaded going home because of a mass amount of drama at my mother's house, not to mention I cherished what freedom I had at DSU, even though I couldn't stand my recently departed roommate.

The new tenant of the place, a Sigma known as R&B Bill was very cool to me in the few days leading up to my move so I was glad to not have to worry about some foolishness moving out.  The physical move didn't take very long at all.  The mental and emotional move was something altogether different.   I had to worry about how I was going to adjust, if I was going to be home forever, if I would keep the weight off....

365 days later...I live on my own, I work in my field, I'm 150 miles south of home, lonely as can be, but my life is peaceful.  They do say time flies when you're having fun or in the real world, and the two are indeed polar opposites of each other, but I never thought my life would change so drastically from one year to the next.

I think I just made up my mind last year that I was going to be successful and make things work at all costs because I had no responsibilities and nothing to lose.  What was the worst that could happen?  A few months at home?  Working in my field part-time while holding down a boring full-time job? Small potatoes in the grander scheme of things.

As Duck said in an entry of mine not too long ago, my last year or so has been marked with professional growth and now is the time for me to get on the personal growth.  I'm back on track with exercise and diet (1000 sit-ups a week along with the basketball, am I crazy?!) and I keep my hair cut low and my face clean shaven.  My complexion comes out better that way, LOL...while I'm thinking twice about making The Art of Seduction my dating and intimate Bible (thanks for the perspective, Miz!), I do know that it will take some effort and developing some sort of charm or courage to put my personality out there to attract women.  A year ago, I would've denied anything was wrong with me, but now I know it is indeed a two way street.

I actually dribbled around the court for about 15 minutes this morning, not shooting, not making any cuts to the basket, just pacing near the foul line, dribbling, thinking, contemplating, smiling.  I knew that while life is never going to be perfect and my past wasn't that bad, I'm happy with the present and the future that I have in store for me.  My, what a year's time can change.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:23 PM, Blogger Southerner in Suomi said…

    Yaay for upwardly mobile negros!!!

    And now that you're in the groove, let's work on YOU!!

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger La said…

    I support all things forward progression.

    I had the same hysteria when I graduated, especially because so many of my friends were walking into careers in their field and weren't having to go home like I was.

    I think what I've learned though, is that every one's path is uniquely their own. You find your own way, in your own time, when you're ready.

    Nice to see you're ready :-)

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger Mizrepresent said…

    Awe, i am so glad Chris...i really like this new and improved perspective. Stick with it!

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Vee said…

    "I knew that while life is never going to be perfect and my past wasn't that bad, I'm happy with the present and the future that I have in store for me"

    I'm GLAD...so so GLAD that you are feeling much more positive. I love this post and yes...a year makes a BIG BIG difference.

    Chris, you INSPIRE me! *smiling*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home