The Post Game Show

Sunday, July 19, 2009

It's Okay To Be You

When people ask me if I'm happy with myself, my standard reply has been anything but a yes or no answer.

"I know who I am."

Most people see through that and keep pressing me for the real answer they want, but I refuse to give answers I still come face to face with the fact that while I know who I am and what I am, I hate it because it doesn't make me popular with women. I think I'm starting to break out of that finally and it makes day to day life so much easier.

I've always viewed my physical appearance, my personality, my voice, my interests, etc., as being troublesome rather than something to be proud of and something to stand up for. I've let far too many outside opinions affect how I see myself (yeah, that's me - master of the obvious!). Now, I find myself not caring.

If I want to sing "You are the sunshine of my life," as it's playing in BJ's Wholesale club, then I will be singing along as I go down the cereal aisle. If I see a fly classic car at the gas station, I might chat up the owner and compliment the ride. If I want to watch the same 10-15 minutes of the Philadelphia Flyers' 40th anniversary DVD and skate around my living room with the broom as my hockey stick - yep, you guessed it - I'll do just that.

I think part of this awakening is I've grown tired of trying to fit everybody's perception of what I should be. I don't look at myself as being special because I tend to do this a little different from the norm, but I'm not going to let people get away with bashing me because of it. Then again, that's the part I need to master - who cares what everyone else thinks? I know who I am, and now I'm glad to be on the road to the point where I'll be able to say with conviction and happiness that I like who I am.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to see the change/growth! Being comfortable in your own skin and not caring what anyone else thinks is the best feeling in the world. And, btw, singing Stevie Wonder is COOL anytime!

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger JayBee said…

    It takes some people a lifetime to become comfortable in their own skin. I maintain that we don't really start to live until we reach that point. Welcome! Now start living.

     
  • At 12:23 AM, Blogger Southerner in Suomi said…

    Unless I'm in your office on a couch & paying you by the hour, you don't need to worry about what I think of myself.
    Ignore those people. They are just looking for an opening to criticize you.

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger Vee said…

    YES YES YES!!!!! Keep Growing!!! i love it!

     
  • At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Arron said…

    This can't actually work, I suppose like this.
    here

     

Post a Comment

<< Home