The Post Game Show

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Little Things, and the joy they bring

Man, India never lied. Sometimes, something small can put you on somewhat of a natural high that lasts a while. More proof that we take daily life for granted, and we miss what should be really important; Our happiness.

A small event Tuesday afternoon inspired this particular epiphany. For the better part of January, Champ (my '94 Mitsubishi Diamante) had been making this weird screaming noise whenever I would turn the wheel. Aside from me needing new brakes like Eddie and Johnny need to come out of the closet together, I was scared this was another big problem that could mean the death of Champ and the return of me walking every where.

My mom's mechanic friend, who initiates most of the work done on my car, said "alls you need is a 2 dollar bottle of power steering fluid. It'll stop the sound." Naturally, this was told to me about three weeks ago, and I was still riding around campus and Dover with my car screaming on the turns. And I missed driving myself to Howard and UMES MLK Weekend for the basketball games we had.

Tuesday came and I was tired of gritting my teeth, and I decided to go for it. I bought two bottles just in case I needed them both. Turns out I only needed one. The wheel turned. No screaming. Nice sharp turns, no need to cringe at all. I need to listen.

But if anything, that made me realize something larger. That would be that you can make your own happiness. So many times in life we base our happiness on what other people have or what we don't have, and Lord knows I'm guilty of that. But if you take time out to do or notice the little things that can just make you smile and take your mind off the daily b.s., you'll be a better person. And a happier person.

7 Comments:

  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger T Dot said…

    Didn't someone say it's the little things that make life worth living? Clearly, they were right. :-)

     
  • At 8:30 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    I think she was right, also.

     
  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger Jameil said…

    yeah, that's called borrowing trouble. your life is just fine, but you're up in someone else's bizness and getting in a funk as a result. everyone does that.

    btw... you got all that from steering fluid??? lolol that was hilarious!

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    lol, hey...sometimes it's something small that helps with the bigger picture, Jameil.

     
  • At 3:45 AM, Blogger Sherlon Christie said…

    Dude you have to take care of your car a little better than that. How much did that bottle of power steering fluid cost you? If you needed a whole bottle...you probably better check to make sure your not leaking power steering fluid. Didn't you say you need new breaks....GET THEM FIX! I don't do well at funerals

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Blogger Chris said…

    well, Grandpa Sherlon, LOL...it cost me two bucks, and that was the first time I didn't have power steering fluid in the car, so I guess it just ran its course and was time for a refill. The brakes are a work in progress.

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Benedict said…

    Thanks so much for your post, pretty helpful information.
    get it | here | link

     

Post a Comment

<< Home