The Post Game Show

Sunday, June 08, 2008

I'm Not A Basketball Legend, but I play one on TV...

When I head out to the basketball court down the road every morning, I kinda/sorta like to re-enact at least one NBA play I remember from the countless NBA on CBS/NBC/TNT/TBS/CSN/WGN/WPHL/WWOR/ESPN/ABC (*whew*, that covers about 24 years of basketball fandom) games I've seen in my life. One of my favorites was from the lockout-shortened 1999 NBA season and the Eastern Conference finals. My best friend is a Knicks fan, and they were the last team to make the playoffs in the East, but had upset Miami and punished the Hawks to advance to the conference finals against the Indiana Pacers, whom I hated (mainly because they swept my Sixers in the previous round). I told my boy "I'll be happy if the Knicks upset these goons." As much as he had been through drama with the Knicks before, he said "I'll believe it when I see it."

Game 3, in the Garden. Just about 12 seconds left, Knicks down three, and well...I'll let youtube take it from here...



Great stuff. I snapped in my moms living room that day, and to this day, whenever I get excited about something, I take a quick jog like LJ and then talk to an imaginary Chris Childs like "I know, I know. Gotta hit the freebie."

So this morning while I was out there I took my dribble to the left, faked like a defender hit me, fired the shot...bang. Well, his was straight on, I hit the glass first and it went in. Then, just like LJ I went on my lil' jog stopped at half-court and said "I know, I know. Gotta hit the freebie."

The beauty of being alone with your thoughts and your imagination when you do something you enjoy is that it more often than not, brings out the best in you. Considering I worked for about 12 hours in the blazing heat yesterday (so blazing that when someone handed me a ice cold bottle of water, I put to my head and the steam was so thick you could cut it with a knife), I rightfully could've stayed in bed and still be calling the hogs. Tough to do that when your imagination is calling. And who am I to resist?

5 Comments:

  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger La said…

    AHH! I remember that! That clip is classic. Just watching it made my heart beat all fast like I didn't know what was gonna happen, lol

     
  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger Jameil said…

    imagine on! oh basketball. i know we'll be reunited one day soon. "i'm gonna love you ball, gonna love you, ball." it'll be awesome.

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger Mizrepresent said…

    Now that was a really cool post! Loved it!

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger Southerner in Suomi said…

    I do that when I go to Latin Nights here. Lol. My little basic salsa is turned into some big deal in front of judges and stuff(in my head).

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Blogger Yasmeen Christian said…

    Hey, Chris!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home