The Post Game Show

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Soundtrack Of My Life: Let's Get Physical....

Don't be alarmed readers, this has nothing to do with hot, lovely relations *wipes drool from right corner of my mouth*, but it's some of the music I enjoy when I'm working out and trying to get myself into shape. If you're wondering how that's going, I haven't stepped on a working scale in close to six months, but the looseness in my clothes, the extra pep in my step, and the turbo boost of energy I've picked up in recent weeks tells the story. I took a new profile picture and slapped it up there, so maybe y'all can see it in my face. So let's look at some of the music and routines I go through to become a better - and healthier - Chris.

Cuts for Sit-Ups

"Ground Zero," Dip Set - The clashing of the cymbals, the rapid-fire guitar samples, Juelz Santana imploring the listener to "come on" at the beginning is the perfect start to a 20-sit-up set, which only takes a few seconds for me to complete. Music like this is the reason I'm up to 1000 sit-ups per week. 200 Monday/Wednesday/Friday, 100 the other four days of the week is how I break it down.

"Sing For The Moment," Eminem - This one is totally off the hi-hats. You can get into a rhythm by the tick of the drum because it's 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, with the bass giving you a quick boompboomp in the middle to settle you if you get off your pace. This was my sit-up song through the first eight months of 2007, that song motivated me when I needed it the most and it still does a pretty good job of that now.

"You're Gonna Pay," The Undertaker's theme from late '02 to fall 2003 - My favorite Undertaker persona of all time was when he was a human character, a red-headed bad ass biker from Houston, Texas. He slimmed down to about 290 pounds, started using submission moves to go along with the Last Ride power bomb, and had a phrase to this day that I use whenever someone needs to be checked. "You see that? That's the yard. And I'm the big dog that runs that yard. I don't like people playing in my yard." So whenever I need to feel bad ass while doing sit ups, I click on this one.

Home Stretch

I've been concentrating largely on my thighs and rear end because those areas are the ones that need the most toning. *Sigh* I know that sounded real femme. Don't judge me. Approximately 1 minute each of standing and sitting butterfly stretches, leaning to the left, right and center, one leg in, one leg back...I try to do it all. I usually end up listening to something that will relax me while I'm stretching, like Paul Hardcastle's Rain Forest, Summer Madness by Kool and the Gang, Breezin from George Benson. Those kinds of instrumental pieces are usually best while stretching because you're not going to do yourself any favors if you're tensed up while stretching. At least that's what works for me.

Chris is playing ba...sket...ballllllllllll....

As I've said in an earlier post, I live out hoop dreams and favorite plays from basketball history when I'm on the court alone for an hour every morning at my local park. It makes it more fun to try and replicate some of the moves I've witnessed over my life.

Random theme music from 1980 NBA Finals Films - The track in question starts at the 4:09 mark. It's Game Two of the '80 finals when my Sixers jumped out to a 23-point lead against the Lakers, only to have LA come back and make it close at the end, but the Sixers held on to win 107-104. At 4:57 is where I practice my top of the key jumper from about 18 feet out, just like Darryl Dawkins takes and makes at that spot. And yes, like in the video, after I hit the shot, I turn around and jog to the other end of the court. I do it at least five times - hey, it gets the legs moving, especially when you're out there at 6 a.m.

"Swagger Like Us," - T.I./Kanye/Wayne/Hova - Now anybody who knows me, knows I HATE the word "swagger" with a passion. It ranks up there with game (i.e. "you need some game to get a woman") as the words of my generation that I absolutely loathe. But this track is a killer, and every time I walk onto the court and my shot is falling, even if I am just shooting for and by myself, I have a certain, well *finger down throat* swagger.

Bulls playoff video music from 1992 - This music runs from 4:50 to the end of the first vid until the first minute of the second one (there are two different links there). Really don't have a description for this one, except I can imagine playing under the bright lights with a series on the line and not giving an inch until my team comes out with the victory, much like the Bulls did in that NY series.

1984 NBA Playoff Music, Celtics/Knicks series - This music goes from 2:54 to 3:39 (sorry for all the YouTube links, but it's a matter of convenience, lol), and much like Bird is in the zone under this music, I usually feel the same, creating three-point plays for myself, hitting shots while the shot clock winds down, embarrassing my opponent. It's basketball. Gotta win, or else you lose *wink*

So that's a long and supersonic look into what I hear or see when I'm working on getting in shape to feel better about myself. I need a lot of motivation, and what I've listed definitely provides it.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Mizrepresent said…

    Chris, good for u man. I can tell from your profile pic that you are doing just FOINE...hmmm, i may need to rethink my last post and look you up!

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i liked that sing for the moment by M&M ... i could follow through...

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger Southerner in Suomi said…

    You can't go wrong with ANYTHING by George Benson.

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Jameil said…

    i was looking for new workout music!! hot, lovely relations made me throw up in my mouth... like a lot. i def. snickered at thighs and rear!! hilarity! work it anyway! lol.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home