The Post Game Show

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Jekyll/Hyde Blues

I used to be such a sweet, sweet thing
Until they got a hold of me...
I opened doors for little old ladies,
I helped the blind to see...

Transitions rarely happen overnight. Good ones force you to be patient and hope that it thoroughly completes itself and at the right time. Bad ones usually are the ones that move the fastest, but you still have time to stop it if necessary. 

Needless to say I failed to stop my transition, to quote Spongebob Squarepants, "from good noodle to bad egg." Not as an overall detriment to society by any means, but my social graces are non-existent and the situation with women seem to get worse instead of better. 

I got no friends 'cause they read the papers
They can't be seen with me
And I'm gettin' real shot down
And I'm feelin' mean...

There was a time when the words used to describe me were "respectful," "polite," "well-mannered," "well-behaved" and probably the one word I hated to be describe as maybe even more than my weight, "sweet." I was over being sweet by the middle of my second year at Del State. I had learned in two semesters of living on campus that women weren't in the market for "sweet" guys.  There, I said it. The last time I classified myself as a nice guy, LeBron James didn't have his Hummer, there was no Iraq war and Jay's Second Blueprint banged all over campus. 

No more Mr. Nice Guy
No more Mr. Squeaky Clean
No more Mr. Nice Guy
They say he's sick, obscene...

I figured that in order to at least get some positive attention, I shouldn't ask a girl how she's doing, shouldn't show too much emotion (HA! That didn't work out very well) and I shouldn't try to be interested in them because they almost thrive on being ignored. Somewhere along the way when that didn't work out, bitterness set in, and I found myself dogging women every chance and place I had room to do so. Forget my desires and wants, my ability to even carry on a decent conversation with a woman is null and void.

But what's crazy is, when I think about when I was a young and impressionable sort, one who thought of women as all being queens and being better than me and that I'd be eternally grateful to be a small part of their world, I gag. I'm embarrassed that I was such a brown-noser. Maybe that part in the "Keep ya head up" vid when Pac is admonishing his partners for catcalling Jada Pinkett Smith went to my head, who knows? But I definitely didn't want to turn out like this. Now as long as I'm allowed to breathe, I'm sure I can change, but this transition is going to take a long time to occur. I just hope it's not too late.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're sick. Please get help.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Vee said…

    Who is this Anonymouse mfer?!?!?

    anyway...Chris..to be better you've got to look towards being that way and fake it until you make it, you dig what I'm saying? (I'm so old school right there..LOL)

    it takes times to make progress and if you REALLY REALLY want to..it will happen :-)

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with VW - if you really to make progress, you can. There's nothing wrong with being a nice guy, you just shouldn't want to be the guy that women step on. "Sweet" isn't really a bad thing. =)

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Blogger Mizrepresent said…

    It's never too late to make a change Chris...i know things may seem out of whack now, but like many who really care about you have said...concentrate of bettering you...that's something you don't need anyone else, no woman, no man to do that...that's on you luv. If you think you are not where you are supposed to be...then improve you, an everything else will fall into place.

    and fuck anon- if they don't want to read your blog or disagree with it, then get the fuck out of here...So says MIZ!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home