The Post Game Show

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Happy, Jolly, Yummy Time of the year....

That comes from Salsoul Orchestra's "Merry Christmas All," which leads me to wonder why Christmas would be yummy in 1976, now or ever? Maybe if they were talking about the food, yes. Ah well, great song for a great time of year. I shouldn't be this excited about buying a tree and ornaments like I'm set to do later on this afternoon/evening, but I figure I may as well go all out now that I'm on my own. If anybody has a problem with colored lights, they can speak with my secretary D....as in, DEEZ NUTZ! I love colored lights on the tree, white just seems so freaking boring, lights and tinsel. Christmas is a colorful season, and your boy's first tree will reflect that.

I'm still trying to figure out what my Christmas gift to myself will be. I was thinking of being lazy and just getting both American Gangster and Graduation and calling that that, but then I remembered a hobby that greatly interests me and I never had the space or the money to pursue until now; model railroads. Yes indeed, I've been a toy train geek since I was knee high to R. Kelly's first girlfriend, and I always wanted to start, but things like college and living in dorms and home got in the way. There's a model railroad store a couple of miles south of where I live, so I might head down there next week in the morning to see what's what and if I can afford it. It'd be funny to have people visit the apartment and have to step over "chuggachuggachuggachuggachuggachugga, WHOO WHOO!" Too excited? Yes? O.K., moving on, lol...

The most beautiful thing to me thus far happened this morning when I went for my walk and Steve Harvey played "This Christmas" by Donny Hathaway, a.k.a the Official Negro National Anthem of the holiday season. I walked past a ton of houses with Christmas lights up and last night's snowfall still on the ground with a clear blue sky as the backdrop. All while Donny is sangin' and playin' his instruments. I had to stop and let out a long, dreamy sigh and continue with my strolling.

I'm losing my mind not having cable at the house, yet I always seem to forget or end up being too lazy to call DirecTV or go online to check it out. Not sure why, especially since I miss Boomerang (the cartoon channel) and ESPNClassic like nobody's business. Hopefully tomorrow morning after I walk and stretch I can remind myself to do it before I miss all the great Christmas programming.

And yes, I do know the real reason for the season. Even though it's not really Christ's birthday this particular month, it still is a nice time of year to honor the Savior and be thankful that we're still here to see another Christmas. No matter where we are in life right now, it could be worse. It could always be worse, and I'm seeing that now, so despite whatever wrong is going on in my life, I'll certainly take the bad that comes with the good of still being alive. It's better than the alternative.

6 Comments:

  • At 7:13 PM, Blogger Southerner in Suomi said…

    Yaaay for Christmas trees!!

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Sherlon Christie said…

    I need cable in my life...so I understand the withdrawal.

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Blogger La said…

    "they can speak with my secretary D....as in, DEEZ NUTZ!"

    LMFAO! You said alot of other stuff I wanted to comment on but I will not and cannot get past that shit, lol

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    i wish i could have your x-mas spirit..youre so JOLLY lol...but what kind of x-mas tree you getting a real one or a fake one?

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger Jameil said…

    yay to being not dead! pics of Christmas tree. GO! (did MEM call you jolly??? LMAO!!!!)

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Chris said…

    Agent - Yeah, once I get this jawn set up, you'll get to see how bad of a sense of design I truly have, LOL

    SP - It's a struggle, brother. Hopefully we'll survive.

    La - What can I say hon, I'm a loon, lol

    Memph, I LOVE Christmas. Even when commercialization screws it up, it's still a beautiful holiday with some meaning. Real tree, so my friend in DC can leave me alone, LOL

    Jameil - Pics will be coming by Monday morning...and yes, you're still a professional hater, LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home